Sunday, August 11, 2024

Dunk Island (part five)

Dunk Island also provided a range of sporting activities for those who feel that way inclined. Swimming pool,

tennis courts, a squash court, volleyball court, gymnasium and a nine hole golf course were some of the facilities available.

Being an island there are also opportunities for exploring via the water with a range of boats available for use by guests including small blue boats for paddling, motor boats, catamarans and jet skis.
Robin and I went paddling around Brammo Bay which was fun though I seemed to scoop water over myself each time I used the paddle which demonstrated a major flaw in my paddling technique.
On our last evening Robin went on a nature kayak tour to Kumboola Island which he enjoyed.
On the Monday we visited Beaver Reef and Coral Cay on the catamaran, QuickCat IV. The trip to the reef took one hour. The boat anchored near a small island of sand. When we arrived there was a welcoming party of large birds waiting on the island to greet us. Beaver Reef is a great location to view the reef either by scuba diving or snorkelling. On the trip to the reef we had been provided with snorkelling gear, including flippers, and a wetsuit.

As I had previously avoided opportunities to snorkel we initially went in a small motorised boat to the island where I could practise in shallow water.

Despite what the experts tell you snorkelling without taking on water is not that easy. Never the less some attempts were successful and it was fascinating to have a close view of the fish and coral near the island. We got a lift back to the main boat – I resisted the suggestion that we swim back – and after selecting our lunch to have later in the afternoon we got ready for a guided snorkel tour of the main reef.
Fortunately Robin was with me and held my hand during the swim to direct me because, although I could hear our guide, when I had my face in the water I had no idea which direction we were going in. I decided to concentrate on seeing as much as I could without taking in too much water and trust that Robin knew where we were headed.
Snorkelling on the reef was a great experience – lots of colour and shapes with a variety of coral, starfish, sea slugs, giant clams and many different fish. I am glad that I had the experience but I was definitely not born to snorkel. When we were back on the boat I was shivering so much that a staff member brought me a blanket and a hot drink. 

Beaver Reef images from Bossa Nova website.

Dunk Island was a great place to get away from the routines of our increasingly busy lives. In our five days on the island we enjoyed the opportunities to explore the beaches and the national park, to visit the reef and view its wonderful underwater world and in my case to test the comfort boundaries as I attempted paddling and snorkelling – at least I can tick them off the list of things that I have done (even if I did not do them very well). 

There was also the opportunity just to relax and read a book, to watch the tide come in and out, to appreciate the varieties of colour that abound in tropical vegetation and to watch the antics of the birds at the resort. 

There was also the added bonus of good food prepared by someone else – and we didn’t have to clear up afterwards. We also appreciated the warm, though often cloudy, weather with maximum temperatures 25 degrees to 28 degrees. 

On the Tuesday morning we left on the QuickCat to return to the mainland at Mission Beach for the bus and plane trip home. 

In March 2006 Dunk Island was in the path of Cyclone Larry which caused much damage to the infrastructure and to the vegetation. In some places in the national park we saw clearings in the canopy where trees had been brought down during the storm. Other plants were taking advantage of the additional light and the vegetation was growing back. Apart from photographs showing the cyclone damage kept in the Activities Centre there was little indication of the damage caused by the storm.

However worse was to come. In 2011, Cyclone Yasi destroyed the resort at Dunk Island plus other communities in the region.

Decisions are yet to be made as to the future of the island as a holiday destination.

No comments:

Post a Comment